TIME Stories (Expansions) + Beachwood Blendery
TIME Stories is SO good. Definitely one of the most unique boardgames we've ever played. It's so good that it was nominated for the 2016 Kennerspiel des Jahres Award this year. For you Americans out there, the Spiel des Jahres is the famous German Award for Game of the Year (normally a family game), which Code Names won this year and you can read my review here. The Kennerspiel des Jahres expands this award to the best Advanced Game of the Year, which TIME Stories was nominated for, although it lost to some random game called Isle of Skye.
If you want to learn a little about the base game, read my overview here. This post I want to quickly review the scenarios. Note: I'm purposely keeping these descriptions vague to avoid spoilers.
1) Aslyum - The scenario that comes in the box. Dark theme. Most puzzles of all scenarios with an incredibly tough one at the very end!
2) Marcy Case - Another dark theme. The most combat of all the games. If you enjoy dice rolling and fighting bad guys, you'll really like this one. Minimal puzzles.
3) Prophecy of Dragons - Haven't played this one yet, but I've heard it's the best of all four. Saving this one for the perfect Saturday.
4) Under the Mask - This one is heavily driven by story (with the least amount of puzzles & combat of all of them), but it's still a fun ride.
5) Endurance - Not yet released, but expectations are high.
Note: The only thing about TIME Stories you should know before purchasing is that there's not much replayability. You can play with a different group of friends and let them solve the puzzles you run into, but you can't really replay it with the same group. However, it's so epic it's worth purchasing regardless. Another complaint may be the cost due to the limited replayability, but it's cheaper than going to the movies with your group of friends and way more fun.
How did we stay hydrated during our most recent TIME Stories adventure? Beachwood Blendery Propagation Series No. 512. Beachwood Blendery hails from the famous Beachwood BBQ & Brewery in Long Beach, CA that is embarking on a quest to create American-style lambics. That means sour beer for you PBR fans. Their sour beers age in oak barrels for 9 months to 3 years, and during this time, a blend of microorganisms shape the sour, tart, and acidic flavors that beer lovers have come to love. Yes, it was delicious. And yes, sour beer is the next big thing. Try it for yourself. If you're ever in Long Beach, definitely stop by the BBQ restaurant and brewery; both the beers and food are two thumbs up!